Ishan Uday is a special scholarship scheme launched by the University Grants Commission (UGC) for the students of North Eastern Region (NER) to promote higher education and for encouraging children belonging to economically weaker section of the NE region.
Under Ishan Uday scholarship scheme, a total of 10,000 fresh scholarships are disbursed every year among NER students who are pursuing general degree courses, technical and professional courses, including medical and paramedical courses.
Ishan Uday Scholarship 2020 Details
Name of scholarship: Ishan Uday Scholarship 2020
Course/s: General degree courses, technical and professional courses, including medical and paramedical courses
Implemented By: University Grants Commission (UGC)
Scholarship Amount: ₹ 7,800 and ₹ 5,400 per month
Last Date: 31 Oct 2020
State: Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Sikkim, Tripura
Objective of Ishan Uday Scholarship 2020
The objectives of the Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme 2020 for North Eastern Region are:
1) To provide equal opportunities for higher studies in NE Region.
2) To increase the Gross Enrollment Ratio (GER) in NE Region.
3) To focus more on professional education in NE Region.
4) Optimum utilization of NER Budgetary Allocation.
It is envisaged to provide ten thousand (10,000) fresh scholarships every year beginning from the academic year 2014-15 for general degree courses, technical and professional courses, including medical and para-medical courses.
Eligibility Criteria for Ishan Uday Scholarship 2020
1) Students with domicile of NER who have passed Class XII or equivalent exam from a school situated within NER through any recognized Board of Education, including Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE), National institute of open Schooling (NIOS) within NER only, and have secured admission in general degree course, technical and professional courses including medical and paramedical courses (Integrated courses included) in Universities/Colleges/Institutions recognized as under
A) Universities/Institutions/Colleges included under Section 2(f) and 12 (B) of UGC Act.
B) Deemed to be Universities included under Section 3 of the UGC Act, 1956 and eligible to receive grants-in-aid from UGC.
C) Universities/Institutions/Colleges funded by Central / State Government.
D) Institutes of National Importance.
E) Institutions recognized by other Statutory councils within as well as outside
2) Only first year Under-graduate students are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
3) For integrated degree courses the scholarship will be tenable for the complete duration of the course. For dual degree courses the scholarship shall be tenable for the first degree only. The university shall clarify it while recommending a candidate for scholarship.
4) For availing scholarship under this scheme, the income of the parents of the student should not exceed Rs.4.5 lakh per annum.
5) Transgender candidates are eligible to apply under the scheme. The reservation shall be followed as per Government of India norms.
Exclusions: The following shall not be eligible under this scheme-
1) Students pursuing courses/programs through Open Universities.
2) Students already availing scholarship for pursuing the Undergraduate programme under any other scheme(s).
3) Students gaining admission through ‘management quota’.
4) Students pursuing courses, such as Diploma Courses, not leading to award of a Degree.
5) Students whose parents’ income exceeds Rs.4.5 lakh per annum.
Ishan Uday Scholarship Amount
An amount of Rs.5400/- p.m. for General Degree courses and Rs. 7800/- p.m. for Technical & Professional courses (including Medical & Para medical courses) will be given through Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) to the beneficiary student.
Ishan Uday Scholarship Selection Process
– 10,000 (ten thousand) fresh scholarships will be awarded every year.
– Distribution of slots amongst the states of NER will be done on the basis of population census(last).
– If slots in a particular state remain vacant due to non-availability of eligible candidates, the unfilled slots will be distributed equitably amongst other states.
– Reservation for Persons with Disability (PwD) will be made as per Government of India norms.
Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme Application Form
Eligible students may apply online through National e-Scholarship Portal of the Government of India URL: https://www.ugc.ac.in/ner/About.aspx.
The following documents will be uploaded at the time of applying under the scheme on the NeSP.
1. Domicile certificate to be issued by the competent authority.
2. Proof of annual income to be issued by the competent authority.
3. For renewals, the annual progress report and continuation of studies will be required to be uploaded/ verified by the concerned University/ Institution/ College.
Last Date of receipt of the online application is 30th October 2020.
FAQs on Ishan Uday Scholarship Scheme
1) Is the scheme open for all candidates enrolled in Indian Universities/ Colleges/ Institutes?
– No. Only those candidates who have domicile of the North-Eastern states of India are covered under the schemes i.e.Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Tripura.
2) Is there any annual income ceiling for candidates to be included under the scheme.
– Yes, only those candidates whose annual family income is not equal or more than Rs.4.5 lakh per annum are covered under ambit of the scheme.
3) Is there any need for uploading of domicile certificate alongwith the online application form.
– Yes, the domicile certificate/ permanent resident certificate issued by the competent authority will have to be uploaded with the online application form.
4) Are only first year undergraduate students eligible to apply?
– Yes, only those students who have passed Class XII(CBSE board) or equivalent Examination of State Boards of NER are eligible to apply?
5) Are students enrolled in Diploma courses or those who have cleared Class XII exam or equivalent in the preceding years eligible to apply?
– No. Only those students who have qualified class XII exam or equivalent exam during the current academic year are eligible to apply.
6) Are students enrolled in private/deemed universities (not funded by either Central or State Government) eligible to apply?
7) Are students enrolled in integrated courses of eligible institutions eligible to apply?
– Yes. Students enrolled in integrated courses are eligible to apply. The awardee will however draw scholarship only for the undergraduate part of the course.
8) Are students enrolled in dual degree courses eligible to apply?
– Yes. However, the awardee will be eligible to draw scholarship only till the tenure of the first degree programme.
9) Are all courses covered under the ambit of the scheme?
– Yes. The scholarship will be awarded in general degree courses, professional courses, technical courses, medical and paramedical courses (including MBBS, BAMS, BDS, B.Arch, BTech etc.)
10) Is there a difference is amount of scholarship payable to the awardees? How will payments be regulated?
– Yes. There are two amounts of scholarship payable to the awardees? Rs.5400/- p.m. for general degree courses viz. BA, BSc.,BCom, BMS, BBA etc. and Rs.7800/- p.m. for other courses viz.technical, professional, medical, paramedical courses etc. The amount of scholarship payable will be determined according to the verification provided by the institution at the time of applying.
11) Will the scholarship transferred in case the awardee changes the institution or course during the tenure of scholarship?
– No. There is no provision for transfer of scholarship.
Important web links
Official Notification – Click here.
Online Application – Click here.
FAQ – Click here.
Official Website – Click here.